In software engineering, domain knowledge is awareness of the environment in which the target system operates. It is important because that usually must be learned from end-users in the domain (as domain specialists or experts), rather than from software developers.
- Keep reading on Healthcare Domain Basic Knowledge
A Domain is nothing but core knowledge of any particular sector, specific industry, or nature of business. In simple words, we can say, a particular area of work or specific area to be worked upon.
What is Domain Knowledge?
Domain Knowledge refers to a business sector like Banking, Healthcare, Insurance, Manufacturing, etc. It refers to the understanding of the processes, workings, and key aspects of the business. For example, If you would like to be good at understanding retail banking, you need to understand the following items:
- The transactions at the banking application (e.g. funds transfer etc).
- The back end processes e.g. what happens when NEFT transfer happens involving messaging from the front end to the back end or the external system.
Why Domain Knowledge is Important?
Markets now demand domain and subject experience. Find the following points that say why it is important for a Business Analyst/Tester/Software Engineers.
- To enhance decisions, services, and products by adding intelligence, increasing value, and providing flexibility.
- Create a learning organization to sustain a competitive position in the market.
- Help you get into the niche market and stay in demand.
- Provide better job security as a specialized resource.
What are the various domains in the software industry?
- Banking, Financial Services and Insurance (BFSI),
- Engineering and Construction,
- The GIS (Geographic Information System).
I hope you liked this article on what is domain knowledge?. I would like to have feedback from my blog readers. Your valuable feedback, question, or comments about this article are always welcome.