In this article, I will discuss how to prepare for a face to face interview by following some useful tips and techniques. A job interview for the very first time can be a nerve-racking experience, to say the least! Face to Face interview round with the recruiter or hiring manager is the only chance for you to make a lasting impression and get you hired for your first job.
- Keep reading on How to Attend Telephonic Interview Tips, Interview Etiquette Before, During and After
What is a face to face interview?
Face to face interviews, sometimes abbreviated to ‘F2F interview’, or ‘face-to-face interview’ or just ‘face-to-face’, are usually the final stage in the job interview process. It is a two-way communication process. It is your opportunity to find out more about the position and it’s an opportunity for the interviewers to assess whether you have the relevant skills and experience required.
The interviewers will be looking for someone with confidence and character, who is a team player and will fit in within their company. They will be able to provide more information about the role and the company during the interview.
Well, we have listed below some of the job interview tips, one can follow to ace his or her face to face interview round for the first time.
- Confirm date, time, location, contact person, interview process, and list of documents required for the interview with your recruitment consultant.
- Plan to reach the interview venue at least 30 mins before the scheduled interview.
- Go through your resume in detail and check for any mistakes and see if it needs to be updated. You should be able to answer questions on every point in the resume.
- Wear formal attire. Ensure that your appearance is professional. If required go for a haircut/shave before the interview. Avoid smoking just before the interview.
- If you are asked to bring certificates, mark sheets, etc, get them xeroxed before the day of the interview.
- Go through a few commonly asked interview questions (both technical and HR) and prepare for them in advance. The recruitment consultant would be a good source for common questions.
- Understand the company’s job requirements and match them to your skillset. Be prepared to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”. You can ask the recruitment consultant detailed questions on the job description and the skills required.
- Go through the company’s website. If possible ask your friends working in that company about work culture and other company-specific details. You may also understand the company culture in detail from the recruitment consultant.
- Make a list of questions to ask the interviewer about the company/offer.
- Carry all your documents in a file/folder instead of a plastic bag.
- Get a good night’s sleep before your interview so that you’ll be as ready for the interview as possible.
- Carry Multiple copies of your resume (at least 4).
- Put at least 2 references along with their contact details and designation in your resume. Get permission before using anyone as a reference. Make sure that they will give you a good reference. Use work colleagues as references as far as possible.
- Carry your Interview Call Letter. Also, make sure to mention the recruitment consultant as the source.
- On arrival inform the receptionist that you have been called for an interview.
- If you have to reschedule the interview inform the company contact person well in advance.
I hope you liked this article on Face to face interview tips and techniques. I would like to have feedback from my blog readers. Your valuable feedback, question, or comments about this article are always welcome.