SQL Server Basic Concepts
This SQL server basic tutorial introduces SQL Server basics for beginners, SQL server basics topic and SQL server basic concepts. SQL Server is a platform dependent software product, developed by Microsoft, which is implemented from the specification of RDBMS. It is built for the basic function of storing retrieving data as required by other applications.
You can download SQL Server Database 2014 from Microsoft website.
- SQL Database Objects
- System Databases
Introduction to SQL Server express
Microsoft SQL Server 2014 is the next generation of Microsoft’s information platform, with new features that deliver faster performance, expand capabilities in the cloud, and provide powerful business insights. MS SQL Server is a database server. It enables user to write SQL queries and other SQL statements and execute them Consists of several features. A few are:
- Query Analyzer
- BCP (Bulk Copy Program)
- Allows you to write SQL query and SQL statements.
- Checks syntax of the SQL statement written
- Executes the statements
- Store and reload statements
- Save the results in file
- View reports (either as grid or as a text)
- Monitoring tool
- Used for performance tuning
- Uses traces – an event monitoring protocol
- Event may be a query or a transaction like logins etc
Using BCP Utility
- A powerful command line utility that enables us to transfer large number of records from a file to database
- Time taken for copying to and from database is very less
- Helps in back up and restoration
Basic SQL Database Objects
A SQL Server database has lot of objects like :-
- Stored Procedures
- Cross Join | Cartesian product. Simply merges two tables.
- Inner Join | Cross join with a condition. Used to find matching records in the two tables.
- Outer Join | Used to find un-matched rows in the two tables.
- Self Join | Joining a table with itself.
Indexes make search and retrieve fast in a database. This is for optimizing the select statement. There are following types of index :
- Non unique
- Non clustered
Views are logical tables. They are pre compiled objects. We can select few columns or rows from a table and put the data set in a view and can use view in the same way as we use tables
This creates an auto increment for a column If a table has a column with Identity, the user need not insert data explicitly for the column. Identity has a seed, an increment, seed is the initial value.
Did you find this post useful? I hope you liked this article. Please share with me your valuable suggestions and feedback.