Domain specific knowledge is now becoming very important in IT software industry and incredibly valuable for software development as well. It is very important for software developers and testers. In this article I will cover domain knowledge definition, domain knowledge for developers, list of domain knowledge.
Domain Knowledge Definition
Domain Knowledge is a particular area of work or specific area to be worked upon and Knowledge defines Facts, information, and skills acquired through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a domain.
Importance of domain specific knowledge in software
Software development is a collaborative process that needs to bring together domain expertise with technology expertise and process knowledge. To serve customers well and remain in business companies must:
- Reduce their product delivery cycle
- Operate with minimum fixed assets and overhead (people, inventory and facilities)
- Shorten product development time.
- Improve customer service
- Empower employees
- Innovate and deliver high quality products
- Enhance flexibility and adoption
- To enhance decisions, services and products through adding intelligence, increasing value and providing flexibility.
- Create learning organization to sustain competitive position in market.
- Help you get into the niche market and stay in demand.
- Provide better job security as a specialized resource.
Domain Knowledge List
- CONSUMER / FMCG
- ENGINEERING AND CONSTRUCTION
- HOSPITALITY AND LEISURE
- GIS (Geographic Information System)